Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Access Gap at Home and at School

In reading about using media and digital literacy in the classroom, I began to think about all the issues with teaching with technology: the amount of access to technology the school provides, funding for technology, and something Henry Jenkins calls the "participation gap". Throughout this teacher education program, I have continually learned about the importance of using technology in the classroom not only to enhance a lesson and student learning, but also to provide tools for the students to use themselves in order to be prepared for life, work, and/or school after their secondary education. Personally, I really feel that using technology in the right way can be very beneficial to any classroom; I am hands down ready to jump on the digital literacy train and incorporate technology into my lessons and into the work students do. I agree that there are certain skills students need to master now that incorporate the use of technology, or are best simulated by technology, yet a few things always seem to get in the way.

In reality, not all students I work with will have equal access to computers at home. In no way can I assume all my students have that access. Some students may be able to use the school's facilities or a public library's, although for others who must work or take care of the family, that would be quite difficult. With this in mind, how can I mindfully incorporate technology into student tasks so that they gain exposure, access, and develop skills to specific technological tools?

Some might say to use the school's facilities. This is actually cases quite a similar issue; not all schools provide equal access. Some schools, depending on the funding they receive, simply may not have enough money to provide enough technological tools for the amount students in the school. In most school settings I've been in, there is a computer lab (or two) in which teachers must strategically plan for and discretely fight over the reservation of the space. Are you planning a big project involving technology? Then you might need a full week of computer lab time - a full week other classes go with out access. So, as a teacher should you spread the wealth and take little nibbles of time in media center? Or should you hoard all the computer time you can get?

With these two issues, the use of technology in classrooms will take up a lot of valuable classroom time. Students with little technological access at home, will need extra time in school to do any assignment involving digital writing or other technology. Because of this extra time, it may be difficult for a teacher to be able to allow for adequate class time to work on assignments utilizing technology and still cover everything the class need to cover. With this in mind, it seems students may be merely exposed to digital learning. In order for students to develop the skills that digital media and technology can develop, the students need to be introduced to the tool, have time to play around with the tool, and be immersed in a project that involves the tool. With less than desirable availability of technology in schools and students with varying levels of access to technology outside of school, I begin to question, is mere exposure to these tools enough? It seems the students without access at home will need to most time or access within the school so they can be properly prepared. The limited access within schools makes this task very difficult.

It think this issue of technological access will be ongoing yet it will come increasingly important over the years that students gain access to and build skills that certain technologies are able to do. I guess I will have to wait for the day that I can actually use technology and digital learning in the way I have been taught throughout this program. Until then I have two options: keep all this information and ideas on the back burner, incorporating what is crucial when I can, or hoard all the computer time I can get.

Link of the Week:

Challenges and Strategies in Using Technology to Promote Education Reform

This site, a part of ed.gov, talks about some of the issues I posted above, as well as equalizing technological access, and the importance that most teachers embrace technology and use it effectively. Though it is brief, this website provides another, yet similar, viewpoint to this issue.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Abi :)

    So just yesterday I went over to Dunn Bros. to do work like I've been doing every Sunday since the start of this semester. But, holy smokes I didn't want to do anything and distracted myself in every way possible before starting anything while at the coffee shop. As I was in my distracted wanderings I noticed a guy sitting near me that had an iPhone, and I started asking him about it, how he liked it, and whatever else just to put off work for a little while longer. However, this conversation that started to distract myself turned into an extremely interesting hour long discussion about technology and new literacies in the school systems.

    Dan was an interesting guy; he was a linguist in the Air Force for a few years, and his wife also had a linguistics background, once teaching in Hawaii. While our discussion about the iPhone swayed into my field of education, Dan said something rather powerful that resonates with your post, as well as all of our course work, something along the lines of:

    "We are not in the information age anymore. We are in the post-information age. This skills are not only for fun, they are essential."

    I couldn't agree more with Dan. However, I don't feel as though our school systems are set up to reflect this need for all of the reasons that you describe in your post. Particular, schools do not fulfill the need of "access" as you describe. What I really liked about your post is that you took this idea to mean not only the student's access to this tech in their home, but at the school itself! What does this say about the state of our current system? Are we preparing our students for this "post-information" age? I would clearly argue not.

    But, I really appreciate how you discuss these "survival skills" when it comes to accessing and using the little technology many of our schools will have. Although it's horrible that I feel that we have to "stoop" to these levels, what the hell else are we to do? In fact, I ask what are some other "survival" strategies to get our students access to the technology that they will need to learn to become part of the post-information age? Could teachers pool their resources? If so, what might this look like? Could we do things grass-roots style, going to garage sales to acquire a few junky machines for our own classrooms?

    Either way, I like the problem that you introduce; placing issues of access on schools themselves vs. what students have at home. Very interesting :) Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abi. Great post.

    I really liked the way you thought about using computer lab time: "Are you planning a big project involving technology? Then you might need a full week of computer lab time - a full week other classes go with out access. So, as a teacher should you spread the wealth and take little nibbles of time in media center? Or should you hoard all the computer time you can get?"

    I've never thought about it that way. If I were to schedule a mass amount of lab time (say I need the lab for all of the sections of my class) what am I doing to students that aren't in my class? Am I "stealing" their access to computers? Wrestling with access issues is a tough thing. Until every person has a feed in their head, it'll be tough to make sure all students in all classes are able to use and navigate in the digital realm effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abi,

    Just a note to say the blog is great. I enjoy reading every week.

    Well done,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete